Artist in Residence – Caroline Dear – Bulletin #1
I am now in Cwmbran after a 24 hour journey down from the Isle of Skye on Friday. I am settling in to Llantarnam Grange Art Centre where I’ll be resident both physically in person and virtually for the next four weeks.
I am thinking about –
- how we, as humans, interact with plants, both consciously and unconsciously
- the layers in the landscape with human industry dominating, balanced with the plant landscape dominating and how these two opposites alternate and flow and are linked
- the balance between man-made and plant-made
Initial images from Cwmbran –
- desire line outside Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre – Desire line is the term given to lines which form in the landscape as a result of humans making a path where there is no planned path
- plant maintenance – How we manage plants and corral them to our wishes
- flower/sweet wrapper – it is only when you look closely you realise it is a sweet wrapper, does it matter?
- trolley and moss – beautiful green moss growing on a bare red brick wall, Cwmbran is apparently known as ‘trolley ville’, there are a lot of trolleys around
- plant material 16.01.16 – Each day I will gather some plant material from around Cwmbran, whatever I notice and is in excess, this is some gathered on Saturday morning not far from the Art centre, lovely long thin flexible twigs lying on the ground….