Call for Artists
Call for Artists: Oriel Davies announces the first of two flora artist residencies.
As part of flora, an ambitious arts project, originated by Oriel Davies we invite professional artists working across any medium from Wales and further afield to apply for a residency at the acclaimed and unique setting of the National Botanic Garden of Wales, Carmarthenshire from October 2015.
From common weeds to exotic cultivars, flowers have been and are embedded in people’s lives across the globe, not least as inspiration to artists. flora highlights contemporary artists who make visible cultural, historical, geographic, social and scientific ideas through this subject matter.
The residency will take place from October 2015 over 4-5 months and offers the opportunity for an artist who has specific interest in exploring the work and natural resources of the Garden within the context of the flora project. The artist is expected to produce at least one piece of work to be presented at the Garden during the residency.
The artist will be selected on the basis of the originality of their approach to the residency, enthusiasm and curiosity for the Garden and its work, the ability to bring added-value to the Garden as a result of the residency, and an aspiration to further their own practice. The Garden has a genuine and strong interest in, and track record of, working collaboratively with artists at all levels and across a wide range of disciplines. Artists are not required to have any specific horticulture, gardening, or conservation science knowledge nor need they be currently practicing within an arts / science field.
For further information including the application form please see flora.orieldavies.org/residencies
Notes to Editors:
- flora is a National Touring Exhibition curated by Oriel Davies and supported by Arts Council of Wales.
- See http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk for details about the National Botanic Garden of Wales
- Deadline Midnight Friday 7 August 2015
- A full-colour publication will mark the residency and different elements as the project progresses and will be compiled as a limited edition.
- A second flora residency call for artists will be announced later this summer for residencies to take place at Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre, Cwmbrân January – March 2016.
- Oriel Davies is an independent public art gallery based in Mid Wales. The Gallery organises and tours innovative exhibitions featuring artists from Wales, other parts of the UK and internationally, and provides an extensive art education programme. Oriel Davies is a Registered Charity no: 1034890 and is revenue funded by the Arts Council of Wales and Powys County Council.
- Further information: Alex Boyd Jones, Curator 01686 625041 or email@example.com Oriel Davies, The Park/Y Parc, Newtown/Y Drenewydd, Powys, SY15 6UR or http://flora.orieldavies.org/residencies